Author Topic: Academic transformation (?)  (Read 4794 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +0/-0
Academic transformation (?)
« on: January 13, 2010, 07:03:25 am »
I have some questions in regarding the architecture's education path in the United States. As a brief introduction, my name is Marsha. I am currently a community college student in Seattle and would like to major in Architecture. I am hopefully going to transfer this Fall 2010. I am currently looking for an architecture school around California and Academy of Art's curriculum has drawn my interest. Rest assured, I am going to transfer there. One thing that I noticed, they offer a BFA as the default degree instead of a B.Arch. Will it affect my credibility as an architect in the future? And also, I am aware of the IAI policies about the architects' license in Indonesia. This really intrigued me as this made me concern about my future BFA degree's legitimacy. Will my degree still be legit if I'll ever be going back to Indonesia after I graduate? Is there any adjustment or other sort of alternative that needs to be done in order to fulfill the requirements of the policy?

Thank you for your attention and looking forward for your reply.

Quote from: moderator
this post has been split from the previous thread and placed in this new one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:07:46 pm by novriko »

Dian Kusumaningtyas

  • Web Author & Editor
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 49
  • Karma: +0/-0
Re: Academic transformation (?)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:31:48 pm »

Firstly, you need to understand that in USA the accreditation body for Architect is: The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB). This body accredited: School and personal (this is a shortest way to understand the process). In the real world; every states had different way to accredited personal to become a registered architect.

If you take - BFA you have no right to work as an architect by USA law. Your BFA degree might be accredited by NASAD (National Association of Schools of Art and Design) or if your BFA major in Interior Architecture it might be accredited by Council for Interior Design Accreditation. All is depends on which school you are going to go.

So, if your school is not accredited by NAAB; than you have no right to work in Indonesia as an Architect as well. The Architect world now is going towards join international acknowledgement; this is by common agreement through UIA (Union Internationale des Architectes). This is means; if your degree is not accredited by NAAB than you will never could enter to any other world as an architect.

If your BFA in Interior Architecture and accredited by The Council for Interior Design Accreditation than you can work as an Interior Architect in Indonesia and you can registered yourself to HDII (Himpunan Disainer Interior Indonesia).

If you would like to become an Architect; you should take Architecture with BArch degree and you should check your school whether they are accredited by NAAB. If they are an accredited school; it helps in the future to advance your career professionally.

But, if your interest is more in Arts than Architecture; whats wrong with it? Don't you think that is a good school? Probably you need to contemplate what you really love to do.



  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Karma: +0/-0
Re: Academic transformation (?)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:53:48 pm »
Sorry for the late reply. I just want to add up.

There's more than one way to be a licensed architect in the US. One is by finishing B.Arch and completing IDP. Another way is by having a 4 year bachelor degree and a 2 year master degree before completing IDP. The latter is what I'm taking right now. The 5 year bachelor degree which Dian was talking about focus more on courses that specify only in architecture. While the 4 year bachelor degree allows a more flexible courses to graduate. Both are actually the same. But the 4+2 program gives you 2 degrees and of course, better paychecks. It's just that the 5 year bachelor degree is a faster way to get accredited. You don't necessarily learn more art than architecture if you're in a BFA program, it just takes longer since you need a master degree for accreditation. You're allowed to intern with a BFA degree or if you're in the program, which is what I'm currently doing. You can also build points for IDP that way, you just can't take the licensure exams before you get your master degrees.

I'm guessing that you can only intern in Indonesia with a BFA degree, not get accredited. You'd eventually need to come back to school again for a master degree. I don't know whether you need to go back to school in the US or you could just take your master degree in Indonesia. Perhaps you could try asking some of the people incharge of IAI.