Author Topic: Introduction and propose working group  (Read 3021 times)

nurlely bethesda sinaga

Introduction and propose working group
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:27:34 am »
Dear all,

First of all, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Nurlely Bethesda Sinaga, I'm not an architect, I'm a medical doctor actually. Now, I work for I-NGO in Papua. It's been 1,5 years I've been here and conducting  health program for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health.

For this 1,5 years, gathered with Ministry Of Health, Papua Provincial Health Office, District Health Office of Jayawijaya and UNICEF, we implemented program Community Case Management. This program empower Community Health Workers / CHWs ( Kader Kesehatan) to be able to identify danger sign, doing referral and treat pneumonia-diarrhea-fever and malaria.

As known well, Papua, with its geographical challenges, lack of health workers either health facilities leads to higher of under five children mortality ( 64 dies amongst 1000 livebirth).  Pneumonia/ cough with fast breathing ( Infeksi Saluran Pernafasan Atas/ISPA batuk sesak) is the major killer for those U5 ( balita).

The construction of indigenous house, named Honai, as roundshape, without adequate ventilation and their habit to fire up at 4PM to against the cold, becomes the major  cause of pneumonia.

Our program ( medical treatment), only temporary sollution. Means, as long as the structure of Honai is not as healthy house, those children will get recurrent pneumonia ( repeat infection)
And therefore, it costs a lot either for family, health institution and any other stakeholders.

Few months ago, I read in Kompas, IAI has program of revitalized traditional house in NTT, it becomes a trigger to my mind. Any possibility that IAI could help our Papuan to improve their child health status by -revitalized their Honai becomes Healthy Honai?

I prefer to keep them into Honai, because that's their characteristic which should be respected and contains local wisdom.

I hope, IAI could help us. Be pleased to contact me, either in my email

nurlely97@gmail.com or Nurlely_Sinaga@wvi.org.

Any of IAI interest, I also could link IAI to National Working Group on Child Survival.

For your kindly response and insights, I do appreciate it a lot

Many thanks,

Nurlely Bethesda Sinaga

anything